Hygeia the hygienic goddess
Aesculapius the healer
Hippocrates and his oath
I swear by Apollo Physician and Aesculapius and Hygeia and Panaceia and all the gods and goddesses, making them my witnesses, that I will fulfil according to my ability and judgment this oath and this covenant. …
Hygeia the Asteroid
The first recorded observation of the asteroid was April 12, 1849 by Annibale de Gasparis in Naples, Italy, we are speculating that it was 5:30 AM, sunrise, giving a 10 Aries 07 ascendant in the sixth house of service and health. Her rising symbol is ” a savant is revealed, a woman who has created new forms for old symbols.” On the chart are two asteroids. Hygeia is plainly marked but the other, opposite it is Hybris (in the US this is Hubris) the asteroid of presumptive arrogance, overpreening pride.
Download Hygeia discovery1849
It is rather surprising to see Hygeia opposite Hybris and one wonder is Hybris there for Hygeia or is is for Il Signore Dottore de Gaspari who also discovered Parthenope, Egeria, Eunomia, Psyche, Massalia, Themia, Ausonia and Beatrix?
Download the chart here
In the few cases we used Hygeia, we discovered that it works well as a public hygiene point. Here are a few examples from our notes:
- One very good friend of mine, June, has Hygeia in the Third House admitted she came from a very neat family where ironing, clean windows, and presentable appearance counted. Her Hygeia is sextile her Sixth House of work and labor, and her work appearance is always impeccable. Once out of the limelight though, she dressed quite differently, and when her co-workers met her at a company, they were stunned by her disheveled hippie-like appearance.
- Queen Mary of Guise, Mary Queen of Scots mother, has Hygeia in the first house right next to Saturn; her daughter’s Hygeia is in the seventh. Perhaps that explains Mary’s neat embroidery and exemplary attire while held captive by Queen Elizabeth.
- The French writer Baudelaire, a great fan of Edgar Allen Poe, has Hygeia in the first, conjunct his ascendant.
- The National Geographic founder, Gilbert Grosvenor, has Hygeia in the fifth. I guess why he wanted photographs and not actual items of the places his exploring journalists went.
- Another friend has Hygeia in his Twelfth House. This dude admits to being a “closet slob, ” cleaning up when he knew he was going to have company and then shoving everything into the “closets” in a made cleaning dash.
- Coach Carm Cozza has the clean asteroid in the fourth house. Those locker rooms must have been clean enough to eat off.
- President Trump has Hygeia in the Eighth House and is an admitted “germaphobe,” but so does, Joe Biden, who always seems to be immaculately dressed and coifed; JFK whose hair was like armor, never moving an iota even with pictures taken at sea, has in it in the 4th.