Jack Dempsey is one of Marc Jones’s notables and comes in at 228. He does not provide the place, but that’s easy enough to fix, he was born in a coal mining town in Colorado. The time Jones has is also on Astro.com but does not work with the known biographical details of his life, so we rectified him to a 4:40 PM birth time for his birthplace Manassa, Colorado. For those using the Sabian Symbols book, both charts are supplied.
Manassa is high in the Rockies, at 7.664 feet or 2,344 meter high. It was founded in 1851 by Mormons who it Manasseh, the son of Joseph of the many-coloured coat.¹ Once the mining went, most of the original settlers did, too.
The Dempsey’s were a mixture of Irish & English Jews & Catholics and they came to Manasseh like everyone else for the mining, but shortly after William Harrison, named after the ninth President of the United States, the whole family converted to the prevailing Mormonism. William Harry, as he was originally called, got his stage name Jack from his elder brothers who all fought under the “Dempsey” name and bestowed “Jack” to their youngest brother in honor of the Nonpareil 2 himself.
Jack’s obit from the New York Times archives. Jack Dempsey, 87, is Dead; Boxing Champion of 1920’s
the Stars lead the way
Among several, one reason for the latter time is Sirius, the Dog Star, conjunct his Mercury in the eighth house important because Dempsey made another fortune running his nightclub in New York City (liquor and its sales are eighth house Scorpian issues because they are liquid and cause inebriation).
The fixed star Sirius is an old star and it is depicted conjunct to Jupiter in the Dendera Zodiac — the oldest zodiac around. Cleopatra’s father supposedly died in 51 BC when the Sirius-Jupiter conjunction occurred and the great Nile queen herself expired August 12th 30 BC. While the Egyptian calendar was lunar based, each month having about 30 days each, it was timed to the helical 4 rising of Sirius and so important deaths were noted when they coincided with that.
Another star in that vicinity is Canopus, also conjunct Mercury. This one bestows a headstrong nature & subsequent loss through domestic affairs — he was married four times except the last most lasting just a few years. Neptune in the seventh is conjunct Fixed Star Rigel, this gives Jack an energetic but cautious, disposition making him a natural diplomat and generous to those less fortunate — he spearheaded a fund for down-and-out fellow boxer Joe Lewis when the latter fell upon rough times.
- Some time later, Joseph was told, “Your father is ill.” So he took his two sons Manasseh and Ephraim along with him.,
- Genesis chapter 48, verse 1.
- Nonpareil Jack Dempsey was actually stage for the original too. His real name was John Edward Kelly and was an Irish-born American boxer and first holder of the World Middleweight Championship in a true international bout against Australian Bill McCarthy. They nicknamed him “Nonpareil” because he was unbeatable and never quit.
- Our header shot is from George Bellows’s painting Dempsey and Firpo being on exhibition at the Metropolitan Museum of Art this fall. It memorializes the match between the “Manassa Mauler,” and the “Bull of the Pampas,” held at the Polo Grounds in New York in September 1923 before 82,000 spectators.
- Bellows’s print focuses on the moment they hoisted Dempsey back into the ring, the legality of which was later questioned, resulting in controversy. The artist inserted his self-portrait in the lower left corner of the composition, with his attention cast on the most dramatic moment of the action-filled fight.
- Sirius, the brightest star in the heavens, travels a helical (helix or spiral) path through space.